pushing20

maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets. -arthur miller

12.28.2005

ABC's

First, a rant: GPAs are stupid. They are a meaningless average of numbers that aren't necessarily equal in value. They quantify knowledge in a most arbitrary fashion. They have the power make students crazy over hundreths of a point. Worst of all, med schools care about them. A lot.

My grades were posted online today. I got two A-'s in one semester for the first time in college. I still have yet to earn a straight-up A, but college is hard and I try not to get hung up on these things.

The problem with my blase attitude is that when it comes to my bottom-of-the-curve science grades, I feel like my life is totally ending. Okay, so my I'm not going to keel over and die because I got a C in physics 131. And a B in bio 101 is nothing to be ashamed of (though certainly nothing to boast about--and nothing that will pull up my (ugh) GPA). But med schools care about this stuff. Sometimes I really wish I wanted to be, like, a Starbucks barista or a professional reality TV competitor or something. Anything but a doctor. It'll kill me to watch this particular dream go unfulfilled, but with these grades...med schools aren't exactly fighting over white girls with 3.1 GPAs, is what I'm saying.

Tomorrow I'll have some perspective again. Maybe even crack open the MCAT book. But tonight it feels like my career aspirations are spinning down a toilet. Nothing like school to ruin a perfectly good Winter break.

1 Comments:

  • At 12/28/2005 10:07 PM, Blogger Stacey said…

    just whatever you do, don't make the mistake of going into journalism. anything but journalism ...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home