pushing20

maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets. -arthur miller

10.05.2005

Thinking Blue

After the heartbreak of the 2000 and 2004 elections, I've tried to be cautious with my optimism for the political future. Tonight I heard Joe Trippi speak, and like the Grinch before me, I think my heart grew three sizes.

Trippi, Howard Dean's campaign manager in the '04 primaries, has faith in Americans. And if he does, I think I do too. We're stuck in a cycle of transactional politics, he said. Politicians trade tax cuts, prescription drug benefits, or protection of certain values for your vote. Give your vote, get something back. Personally. What we need, what we've been lacking for forty years, is transformational leadership. Someone to tell us that it is a tax increase that might save us in the long run, and convince us that the greater good is more important.

We haven't been asking what we can do for our country for a while now, basically. Trippi told the story of Senator Akaka (D-HI) coming to see him. "What the Dean campaign has done", Akaka said, "is restored America's faith in strangers." Maybe it's true. Maybe in 2008 the Democratic party will start trusting its members to vote for what is good, rather than what looks good.

I don't know, but if this guy who has been burned by seven (!) presidential campaigns can stay hopeful, maybe I can too. I'm young. I can handle a little heartbreak.

3 Comments:

  • At 10/05/2005 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 10/09/2005 8:05 PM, Blogger Marz said…

    Your blog is pretty much the Al Copone of blogs. Meaning: One Bad Ass Blog. I've added you to my links!

     
  • At 10/20/2005 1:25 AM, Anonymous Sarah said…

    Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe, because I'm not American or anything, I shouldn't even say this, but... wasn't the Dean campaign just a punch line for millions of lame late night jokes?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home