pushing20

maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets. -arthur miller

8.10.2005

Six

Scenes from the job:

"I'm six years old and I've been playing chess since I was five."
"Fine Kaia. No more tips. Your turn."
I won, cuz I got game. That and I learned to play chess like eight years before she was born.

Fast forward to two hours later.

"So that's a no on the popsicle stick art? How about Parcheesi?"
"Nah."
"Wanna just hang for a while?"
"mmhm."

We covered day camp, kindergarten teachers, school uniforms. The playroom was quiet.

"I'm too young for this."

'This' being the thing that has kept her in the hospital all week, chart as big as a phone book.

"Yeah," I said. "You really are."

2 Comments:

  • At 8/11/2005 8:09 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    This is heartbreaking.

     
  • At 8/12/2005 2:47 PM, Blogger Stacey said…

    It really is heartbreaking ... And I'm so glad there are people like you who are there to give these little ones some semblance of normalcy. I don't know if I could do it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home