pushing20

maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets. -arthur miller

7.06.2005

THUD (that's the sound of names dropping).

Yesterday was the 826NYC fundraiser I'd been looking forward to, and it lived up to my (very high) expectations. Sarah Vowell opened the evening, talking about the cause and about the podium, which was the podium from which Abraham Lincoln gave one of his most important speeches, in 1860. "Let me just touch this podium for a minute," she asked the audience. "And just for the record, I too am against the expansion of slavery into the Western states."

And in that moment, she cemented her place in my pantheon of favorite authors.

David Sedaris hosted the event, and towards the end of the reading he and Vowell made their plea for donations. He started by dropping $500 in cash into the collection bucket. Why should we give mony, aside from the obvious reasons? "Because I love money so much. I just want to smell it," Sedaris said. Reason enough for me.

On top of Sedaris and Vowell, there were Joyce Carol Oates, Akhil Sharma, Charles Baxter, and Amy Hempel. Wonderful writers, all. But the big surprise came when for the last reading of the night, Steve Buscemi walked out on stage. He, in all his creepy, surreal glory, read a completely appropriate story-- a laugh-out-loud funny account of a guy being shot in the head. Seriously.

All the stories read were from Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules, which I will soon own.

Name-drop event number two was tonight. I saw Avenue Q with my dad. It wasn't as good as the first time, but that's to be expected I guess. The highlight was at intermission, when who should be standing next to me as the aisles filled with people but Clinton (of Clinton and Stacey (of TLC's What Not to Wear)). He was taller than I expected, but a little less cute. With a freakin' beautiful boyfriend. So I tried to call anyone who might care that I was like four feet from Clinton (whose clothes, for the record, looked great), and of course noone picked up their goddamn phones, so I geeked out all alone with only my non-TLC-watching father for company. Perfect.

1 Comments:

  • At 7/07/2005 8:05 PM, Blogger Stacey said…

    That's it ... I'm so jealous of your fun times with my favorite authors, TV personalities and Broadway monsters.

    The closest I've come to any of that is watching "What Not to Wear" after reading a chapter of "Naked" as "It Sucks to Be Me" from the Avenue Q soundtrack was stuck in my head.

    My life is officially bor-ing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home