pushing20

maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets. -arthur miller

6.09.2005

False Advertising

Every morning on the way to my summer job I turn to go down the stairs to the 86th street subway station and grab a free copy of amNewYork to read on the train downtown. Today, in addition to the woman who always hand me my paper there was a man handing out what looked like free samples of something.

Now, I've lived in New York a long time, and while it doesn't happen totally regularly, it's not all that rare for someone to be giving away freebies by the subway station. Most times it's a company trying to promote a new cereal or shampoo or something. Once (on election day a few years back) it was a local candidate handing out cups of hot coffee. Everyone loves free stuff, right?

So when I someone shoved a granola bar stapled to a card in my hand this morning, I shoved it in my bag and went down to catch my train.

Twenty minutes later, I'm walking out of the station downtown and I figure, hey, there's no time like the present for a free granola bar! So I pull it out and look at it, and in my head I'm all "Thanks, Quaker Chewy Granola Bar Man, for this nice snack!"

As I munch and walk, I checked out the card it was stapled to. Not a coupon or promo for the granola bar as I'd expected-- the ad encouraged me to attend Sunday services at the Manhattan Church of Christ.

Thanks, but I like my granola bars without evangelism. (Also? Girl over here is Jewish. But thanks for trying.)

While I won't be heading to church anytime soon, I did stop buy a box of Quaker Chewy Granola Bars after work.

1 Comments:

  • At 6/13/2005 8:47 AM, Blogger Bex said…

    i had the same thing happen to me last week, with a pack of gum. i thought -- cool, people are hanging out free gum! oh, and jesus too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home