pushing20

maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets. -arthur miller

5.19.2005

That oughta be worth an extra half a grade on my paper

Or, "How Being a C-SPAN Nerd Finally Paid Off".

As I've mentioned before, I watch C-SPAN. Nerdy? Maybe. I like to call it a healthy interest in government. Potato, Potahto.

Yesterday (and today, and for however long it goes on) was fairly exciting in the Senate-- it's Judge Priscilla Owen's confirmation hearing, but what it really is is the culmination of the debate over the "nuclear option". Exciting stuff, so I woke up early yesterday to watch some of the debate before I headed to the library.

A few hours later I went to Professor Mellow's office to hand in my final poli sci paper, which incidentally was on how the filibuster affects presidential power and accountability. I mentioned to her that I had been watching it and the debate was pretty exciting, and I sat down and talked to her and another prof for a while aobut what was going on, and more generally about how I probably watch too much C-SPAN.

I told my prof that Senator Leahy (D-VT) essentially made the points that I had made in my paper, so if she wanted to just watch that when it was re-run yesterday evening I could just hang on to my paper.

I think she'll read it anyway.


(The stuff going on right now on the floor of the Senate is really exciting, and if anyone out there is interested they should turn on C-SPAN2 or go to c-span.org and watch it live. God, I'm such a parliamentary procedure nerd.)

1 Comments:

  • At 5/20/2005 12:34 PM, Anonymous barry said…

    Thank heavens for young people (or any American for that matter) that give a damn about what is going on in Washington. Bex, you give me hope.

    As a side note, I just noticed that blogger counts how many words you have written on your blog. Is this useful info? wtf?!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home