pushing20

maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets. -arthur miller

5.02.2005

Never thought I'd say it,

but Laura Bush? Is FUNNY. Or at least has a great speechwriting staff. Frankly, I don't care which. She totally brought it the other night at the White House Correspondent's Dinner.

The speech, apparently penned by Landon Parvin, poked fun at Barbara Bush, Dick Cheney, Don Rumsfeld, and most importantly, President Bush. Now, I'm as ardent a Democrat as you will find, but I give whoever decided that the First Lady should make fun of everyone a lot of credit. It was a great way to soften up the president, and it was executed brilliantly.

Here are a few of my favorite lines:

"George always says that he's delighted to come to these press dinners. Baloney. He's usually in bed by now. I'm not kidding. I said to him the other day, George, if you really want to end tyranny in the world, you're going to have to stay up later."

"George's answer to any problem at the ranch is to cut it down with a chainsaw. Which I think is why he and Cheney and Rumsfeld get along so well."

"The amazing thing is that George and I were just meant to be. I was a librarian who spent 12 hours a day in the library, yet somehow I met George."

Lots more available here and here.

I still disagree with just about everything on the President's agenda, but I can recognize a clever political move when I see one. Two thumbs up to the First Lady.

For today, anyway. Tomorrow? All bets are off.

5 Comments:

  • At 5/02/2005 5:26 PM, Blogger Helen said…

    I would have to agree with you. Good going, Laura!
    Peace

     
  • At 5/02/2005 5:45 PM, Blogger -E said…

    Laura is actually a very bright funny woman in person as well.

     
  • At 5/02/2005 9:54 PM, Blogger German Chocolate Ladies said…

    I'll agree with you there. Tomorrow all bets are off.

     
  • At 5/03/2005 5:20 AM, Blogger Talking Tina said…

    Hi guys really tight stuff. I used to be a deep democrat after 9/11 i felt my party was to blame for it so I switched sorry.We havent had a good democrat since Rosovelvt,Truman and JFK. Have you picked up a AP history book lately from high school? What they say about Clinton in it, is so degrading to us all and so sad for him. Gosh history keeps going though. No doubt Bush will be judged harshly too.

     
  • At 5/06/2005 6:59 PM, Blogger Peter Allyn said…

    I've never had a problem with Laura, I think she has just been dubbed guilty by association.
    I hope we straighted it out.
    Thanks,

     

Post a Comment

<< Home