pushing20

maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets. -arthur miller

3.11.2005

Good riddance, Yoga Nazi.

My yoga class is ending next Wednesday. How does a non-yoga-ish person like me end up in yoga three days a week, you ask? Well, I'm required to take 4 quarters of P.E. before the end of my sophomore year, and I got two from rugby, one from snowboarding, and needed one more. Yoga fit in to my class schedule, and Jen offered to take it with me, so I figured what the hell.

I'd heard good things about Yoga as a PE class-- easy, low-stress, and you get to lie down in the dark at the end of class. Turns out there was a new yoga teacher this quarter though: the Yoga Nazi. No "Mountain pose" or "Downward facing dog", the Yoga Nazi did it all in Sanskrit. Sanskrit, folks. We had to recognize words like "tadasana" and "trikonasana". Not easy to take after an hour of p-chem.

Plus, the Yoga Nazi had crazy eyes. They kind of bugged out and you couldn't tell where they were looking. She earned her nickname by basically berating us when we did the poses wrong, and making us hold them 'til we fell. Nice, right?

So every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for the last 6 weeks I've gone to the wrestling gym and done whatever the Yoga Nazi told me. I'm glad there aren't mirrors in there, becuase I would wager that I look pretty ridiculous in chandrasana, among others. At least my Sanskrit is getting better, right?

I surprised myself, in that I didn't hate yoga entirely. I might take it again next quarter...If the Nazi is gone.

4 Comments:

  • At 3/12/2005 4:49 AM, Blogger No-Name said…

    This makes me so glad that my uni doesn't have a P.E. requirement for graduation.

     
  • At 3/12/2005 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anna said…

    Hahahaha. I had a univ prof who we nicknamed the "Gym Nazi", so I can totally relate! :)

     
  • At 3/12/2005 11:59 AM, Blogger Mac said…

    The science of yoga predates far antiquity. In transit from the East it has undergone some very unfortunate mutations. Granted those mutations are because fat Americans want to lay on their asses in a dark room and lose weight. If you took yoga in a PE class, you probably recieved 1/8 of the science itself. Sanskrit is the oldest language known to man. Its syllables create vibrations that move beyond the anamaya kosha, the gross, or 'food' body. Sorry your experience was not successful in terms of the overall goal of yoga; a body that is easful, a mind that is peaceful, and (when you get up and go) a life that is useful.

     
  • At 5/28/2005 11:22 AM, Blogger Kevin said…

    I just dropped by to read your blog and say hello.

    I know a few yoga nazis!

    Kevin Perry
    Free Daily Yoga Tip
    http://experienceyoga.blogspot.com/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home