pushing20

maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets. -arthur miller

3.28.2005

Beach Reading

One of the best parts of going to the beach is getting lots of time to read things that weren't assigned. I read three full New Yorkers. I'm just about caught up on those now (until I get back to school, of course). There is almost complete turnover on my sidebar in the "Currently Reading" section. So here's what I'm currently reading/read on the beach:

-I finally finished Founding Brothers. It violated my usual "no books with footnotes on vacation" rule, but whatever. Completely loved it, but then I am an unabashed American history nerd. I'm allowed to be an intellectual snob, I'm in college.

-Native Son (by Richard A. Wright) and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Ken Kesey) are for class, so I didn't touch those while I was away. I've read Cuckoo's Nest before so it shouldn't be too bad to run through again this week. The other is a bit intimidating, but I have until a week from today to get through it.

-Last Spring break I read Dave Eggers' A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, and totally dug it. I read You Shall Know Our Velocity a few months back and didn't like it as much, but this week I read most of How We Are Hungry: Stories and am really enjoying it. I think Eggers has a strong, interesting voice in his writing. Plus, I've seen him interviewed in a few places and he seems like a smart, thoughtful guy. I recommend all three, I guess, but mostly the first.

-I haven't started Jhumpa Lahiri's Interpreter of Maladies yet, but hopefully I will this week. I read her book The Namesake for my Asian-American history class last semester and thought it was really good, and this one is supposed to be even better.

That's all I'm working on for now, other than some People magazines leftover from the plane. Loooove my People.


Also, I can't find my cord to connect my camera to my computer. Arrrrgh. Might have to wait to get up to school to find it. Oh well.

7 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home