pushing20

maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets. -arthur miller

2.09.2005

Awesome things I'm reading

I am reading a few awesome things right now.

First of all, there's The Complete Cartoons of the New Yorker. I'm a complete New Yorker addict. My family has three subscriptions (for me, Dear Old Dad...aka DOD, and my brother), since we realized that none of us would be able to finish the whole thing each week unless we had our own copy. Also, at this point none of us live together most of the time. My New Yorker love started early, with DOD sending me articles at sleepaway camp when I was about nine. I got my own subscription when I was about fifteen, and I just love it the most. I read it cover to cover every week. I'm a few weeks behind right now, but I'll catch up because I HAVE TO. It's a crazy little compulsion, but there it is. The book contains 2,004 cartoons, plus two CD's containing all 64,000 (or so) cartoons ever published in the magazine. I can now die happy, and laughing.

Next on the list of Things I'm Reading is Founding Brothers, by Joseph J. Ellis. It's a bit of a American history nerd book, but in a really good way. Plus, I'm an American studies major, so I'm allowed. Anyway, I'm only like a quarter in to this book, and I love it. The first chapter was a completely brilliant retelling of the Aaron Burr- Alexander Hamilton duel (the one where craaaazy ex-VP Burr shot and killed one of my favorite founding fathers, Hamilton). It totally brought it to life and picked it apart in a way that I loved.

I'm also reading the current issue of the New Yorker, which has some good stuff in it, including a funny satire of the whole Prince Harry-dresses-like-a-Nazi-and- unnecessarily-offends-everyone-except-noone-except- crazy-brits-really-care thing.

Lots of good reads for class right now, most notably Narrative of the Life of Fredrick Douglass, An American Slave, Written by Himself. It is a way better read than I predicted, and my African-American lit professor is pretty awesome, which makes it even better. I have to read the second half of it in the next twelve hours or so before class so it'll be off the list of Awesome Things I'm Reading pretty soon.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home